These are actual letters and emails sent to us to alert and warn people of some of the dangers in the world.
We will add more as they come in.
To My Friends and Those of You Who Do Not Know Me,
My name is Lori Stevens and I live in Mandeville. I was at lunch today (Wed. July 11, 2007) at La Madeline (in the Barnes and Noble parking lot) with my 3 daughters and a friend when all of my credit cards were stolen.
The person took my wallet out of my unzipped purse that was hanging on the back of my chair, went to the restroom and took out 5 credit cards then somehow returned my wallet to my purse. I never had a clue. Perhaps with the distraction of my children sitting at the other table and my conversation going on with my friend... I don't know... they were slick! Within the span of 37 minutes these people spent over $3500.00 at Home Depot, Wal-Mart and Target (in Covington.)
Thankfully, I noticed within an hour that my credit cards were missing (thanks to my addiction to Ann Taylor Loft.) I was able to close all of my accounts and have filed a police report with the Mandeville Police. Please, Please, Please.......... this has happened at Chilli's (in Mandeville) in the last week or so as well.
The Detective I am working with said to let everyone know... ............. do not hang your purse on a chair at a restaurant!! Especially unzipped!! ............. notice the people around you! We were able to give a pretty good description of the people who did this and the authorities are working very hard to hunt them down! The people who did this are professionals and know what they are doing... they split up and were able to use 4 of my 5 cards in 37 minutes!! ............. My daughters, my friend and I all sensed something odd about these people.
TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!! God gave us them for a reason!!
'PINGS' What you should know
This refers to Kelsey Smith.....a young girl abducted and killed this week (June 2007) in Kansas City .
Last night's news talked about these Pings but this explains in a little more detail. This is a very good reason one should never keep their cell phone turned off. If you read about the pings then you will understand, why you do not turn your cell phone off except where you are asked to do so. People out doing errands alone, traveling alone, or senior citizens should have a cell phone by them at all times. Read the entire article and see the reasons to have a cell phone. ' Pings ' assist in missing-persons cases Police agencies nationwide rely on high-tech help from phone companies.
DAVID HAYES, The Kansas City Star Section 1 Front Section Page A5 Cell-phone technology is becoming an increasingly important tool for law enforcement. Mobile phones are, in essence, highly sophisticated two-way radios. To make and receive calls, they must be in relatively constant contact with the nearest cell tower. That information from Kelsey Smith's mobile phone was used Wednesday to help find her body. Similar information has been used by law enforcement in missing persons and criminal cases across the country.
To let a cellular network know where a mobile phone is, the handset sends out a signal -- called a 'ping' -- to nearby cell towers every two or three minutes. The towers relay the location of the phone to the network. The system only works when the phone is powered on. A successful ping shows that the phone is within that tower's coverage region, an area that could vary from a few square blocks to a few square miles. That information, in turn, is used by the mobile phone carrier to locate the phone to pass along calls, text messages or e-mail to the phone. When a phone is moving, a number of towers are involved, as calls or routine pings are handed off from tower to tower.
In Smith's case, police were able to track her phone through routine pings and from calls made to her by friends and family Saturday evening. Joseph Farren, a spokesman for the wireless industry's trade association, said most major mobile phone companies have procedures to work with police in missing persons and criminal cases. The companies keep records of calls to and from phones, and a limited number of recent routine locater pings -- sometimes just the last ping, sometimes up to 24 hours worth of pings. Phone company procedure requires police to get a judge to issue a subpoena for phone records, often a quick process done by telephone. From there, Farren said, the process is even faster. The mobile phone company keys in the phone's number, and its last known location pops up on the screen. The process can take under a minute.
Send to all in your address book. Get the word out. We want all safe or if some thing does happen, being able to find them as fast as this one went. If you don't have a cell phone it would good advise to obtain one.
Through a Rapist's Eyes
This is important information for females of ALL ages . When this was sent to me, I was told to forward it to my lady friends, but I forwarded it to most everyone in my address book. My men friends have female friends and this information is too important to miss someone. Please pass it along.
A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts:
1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed . They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair Women with short hair are not common targets.
2) The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women who's clothing is easy to remove quickly . Many of them carry scissors around specifically to cut clothing.
3) They also look for women on their cell phone , searching through their purse, or doing other activities while walking because they are off-guard and can be easily overpowered.
4) Men are most likely to attack & rape in the early morning, between 5:00a.m. and 8:30a.m.
5) The number one place women are abducted from/attacked is grocery store parking lots . Number two: is office parking lots/garages. Number three: is public restrooms.
6) The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.
7) Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 year sentence but rape with a weapon is 15-20 years.
8) If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming.
9) These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas , or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands. Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.
10) Several defense mechanisms he taught us are: If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question , like what time is it, or make general small talk: "I can't believe it is so cold out here," "we're in for a bad winter." Now you've seen their face and could identify them in a line-up; you lose appeal as a target.
11) If someone is coming toward you , hold out your hands in front of you and yell STOP or STAY BACK ! Most of the rapists this man talked to said they'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target.
12) If you carry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and carries it with him wherever he goes) , yell I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY and holding it out will be a deterrent.
13) If someone grabs you , you can't beat them with strength but you can by outsmarting them If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm (between the elbow and armpit) OR in the upper inner thigh VERY VERY HARD . One woman in a class this guy taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands - the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it - it hurts.
14) After the initial hit, always GO for the GROIN . I know from a particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy's parts it is extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble and he's out of there.
15) When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible . The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked audibly.
16) Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it, go with your instincts!!! You may feel a little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
1 Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM . Toss it away from you.... chances are that he is more intereste d in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3.If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc.) DON'T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE. a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot or parking garage: A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat. B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars. C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, preferably in a zigzag pattern!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP! It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, "We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that som eone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it , but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night. Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby ----This should be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted this past Saturday when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana. I'd like you to forward this to all the women you know. It may save a life. A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle. I was going to send this to the la dies only, but guys, if you love your mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, etc., you may want to pass it onto them, as well.